Establishment and Growth
Magen David Adom is intrinsically woven into the fabric of Israeli society, but it actually pre-dates the establishment of the State of Israel, having been founded by volunteers in 1930. It has been a foundation stone of Israeli society, ever since its legal status was set out in the ‘Magen David Adom Law’, passed by Israel’s Parliament (the Knesset) on July 12th 1950.
Magen David Adom’s activities include:
- Responsibility for all Israel’s first aid training.
- Providing and maintaining Israel’s 1,716 ambulances.
- The collection and supply of 300,000 units of blood each year.
- Cooperation with the Palestinian Red Crescent.
- Sharing expertise internationally on dealing with mass casualty situations.
- Social-action projects for local communities.
The Role of Magen David Adom UK
Magen David Adom UK was established primarily to assist Magen David Adom in Israel.
However, Magen David Adom UK also give aid to other equivalent organisations around the world, providing urgent medical care to civilians irrespective of their nationality, religion, ethnic origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
Magen David Adom UK’s dedicated team, under the leadership of Daniel Burger, are all deeply committed to the cause, striving each day not only to do well at their jobs, but to consciously save lives through their work.
Alongside our nationwide network of volunteers, the UK continues to play a part in supporting Israel’s only national medical emergency service.